All HD TV programming got a little bit duller when the classic comedy Arrested Development went off the air. Satellite TV viewers have the option to check on the show from a number of different angles. Considering the innumerable hilarious moments, everybody wins because of it. Here are 5 classic HD episodes to check out.
1. “Beef Consommé.” GOB has a way with women and is continuing his relationship with Marta, the telenovela star. However, GOB’s insensitivity has driven her into the arms of Michael, known to GOB only as the “hermano.” Believing “hermano” is a name and not the Spanish word for brother, he goes looking for the lover on the set of Marta’s TV show. When a confused cast member asks the rabid GOB what he wants (“Como?”), GOB threatens to put him in a “como.” Check out this episode without commercials on the IFC HD network.
2. “Meet the Veals.” With Michael distressed over his son dating a boring, conservative girl, he decides to invite the girl’s parents to a Bluth family party. One look at the family and they will take their daughter away for good, he believes. Things start to go awry as George Sr. wants Lucille drugged and kidnapped so they can renew their vows. Meanwhile, the beautiful Mrs. Veal looks to Michael to show her the ways of the “secular” world, having grown tired of her pastor husband. The climax in the church is one of the signature moments of this spectacular series.
3. “Queen for a Day.” As this episode moves along, the story of Tobias buying a gay club in a bad neighborhood runs on autopilot. However, the beginning is as hilarious as TV has even been. GOB comes into the model house one morning to inform everyone that Sitwell fired him. His continuous pitch of housing projects for single people with loose morals had made Sitwell lose interest in GOB. Meanwhile, Buster has a little break from army duty and has Tobias accompany him in the hunt for women “who haven’t given birth to” him.
4. “Sword of Destiny.” Ben Stiller has a terrific guest starring role as Tony Wonder, the magician who runs the “Use Your Allusion” video series (“If you can mix in an allusion,” he tells Buster and GOB, “that would be great. Like Poe. No, don’t use Poe. I’m using Poe.”). GOB needs to pretend to be Buster’s magician assistant because he has been banned from the Federation (again) for revealing how he performs his illusions. Stiller is matched only by the acting of Will Arnett in this HD episode.
5. “Staff Infection.” Michael realizes that the company payroll is being dragged down by the family members who receive check without actually working. To teach them a lesson, Michael asks them to go to work. Buster and GOB end up on a housing construction project. Watch them square off in an epic game of chicken.